Philipino Food

Go down

Philipino Food

Post  bjeb318 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:36 am

Filipino cuisine consists of the foods, preparation methods and eating customs found in the Philippines. The style of cooking and the foods associated with it have evolved over several centuries from its Malayo-Polynesian origins to a mixed cuisine with many Hispanic, Chinese, American, and other Asian influences adapted to indigenous ingredients and the local palate.

Filipinos traditionally eat three main meals a day - agahan (breakfast), tanghalían (lunch), and hapunan (dinner) plus an afternoon snack called meriénda (another variant is minandál or minindál). Dishes range from the very simple, like a meal of fried salted fish and rice, to the elaborate paellas and cocidos created for fiestas.

Popular dishes include lechón (whole roasted pig), longganisa (Philippine sausage), tapa (cured beef), torta (omelette), adobo (chicken and/or pork braised in garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar or cooked until dry), kaldereta (goat in tomato stew), mechado (beef or pork cooked in tomato sauce), pochero (beef in bananas and tomato sauce), afritada (pork or beef simmered in a tomato sauce with vegetables), kare-kare (oxtail and vegetables cooked in peanut sauce), crispy pata (deep-fried pig's leg), hamonado (pork sweetened in pineapple sauce), sinigang (pork, fish, or shrimp in tamarind stew), pancit (stir-fried noodles), and lumpia (fresh or fried spring rolls).

As with most Asian countries, the staple food in the Philippines is rice. It is most often steamed and served during meals. Leftover rice is often fried with garlic and onions to make sinangag, which is usually served at breakfast together with a fried egg and cured meat or sausages. Rice is often enjoyed with the sauce or broth from the main dishes. In some regions, rice is mixed with salt, condensed milk, cocoa, or coffee. Rice flour is used in making sweets, cakes and other pastries. Other staples derived from crops include corn and bread.

Fruits are often used in cooking as well. Coconuts, coconut milk, coconut meat, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and bananas are usually added to meals. Abundant harvests of root crops occur all year round. Potatoes, carrots, taro (gabi), cassava (kamoteng kahoy), purple yam (ube), and sweet potato (kamote) are examples. Kamote and a certain type of plantain called saba can be chopped, dusted with brown sugar, fried and skewered, yielding kamote-cue and banana-cue which are popular caramelized snacks.

Meat staples include chicken, pork, beef, and fish. Seafood is popular as a result of the bodies of water surrounding the archipelago. Popular catches include tilapia, catfish (hito), milkfish (bangus), grouper (lapu-lapu), shrimp (hipon), prawns (sugpo), mackerel (galunggong), swordfish, oysters (talaba), mussels (tahong), clams (halaan and tulya), large and small crabs (alimango and alimasag respectively), game fish, gindara or sablefish, tuna, cod, blue marlin, and squid/cuttlefish (both called pusit). Equally popular catches include seaweeds, abalone and eel.

The most common way of serving fish is having it salted, pan fried or deep fried, and eaten as a simple meal with rice and vegetables. It may also be cooked in a sour broth of tomatoes or tamarind, prepared with vegetables to make sinigang, simmered in vinegar and peppers to make paksiw, or roasted over hot charcoal or wood. Other preparations include escabeche (sweet and sour) or relleno (deboned and stuffed). Fish can be preserved by being smoked (tinapa) or sundried (tuyo).

Food is sometimes served with various dipping sauces. Fried food is often dipped in vinegar, soy sauce, juice squeezed from kalamansi (Philippine lime), or a combination of all. Patis (fish sauce) may be mixed with kalamansi as dipping sauce for most seafood. Fish sauce, fish paste (bagoong), shrimp paste (alamang) and crushed ginger root (luya) are condiments that are often added to dishes during the cooking process or when served.

The Tagalog words for popular cooking methods and terms are listed below:

"Adobo/Inadobo" − cooked in soy sauce, vinegar and garlic. It could also refer to just roasting on a wok, with light oil, garlic and salt, as in adobong mani (peanut adobo). The latter is done more for snacks, while the former is more associated with viands.
"Babad/Binabad/Ibinabad" − to marinate.
"Banli/Binanlian/Pabanli" − blanched.
"Bagoong/Binagoongan/ - sa Bagoong" − cooked with fermented fish paste bagoong.
"Binalot" - literally "wrapped." This generally refers to dishes wrapped in banana leaves or even aluminum foil. The wrapper is generally inedible (in contrast to lumpia — see below).
"Binuro" − fermented.
"Busa/Pabusa" - toasted with garlic and a small quantity of cooking oil, as in adobong mani.
"Daing/Dinaing/Padaing" − marinated with garlic, vinegar, and black peppers. Sometimes dried and usually fried before eating.
"Guinataan/ - sa Gata" − cooked with coconut milk.
"Guisa/Guisado/Ginisa" or "Gisado" − sautéed with garlic, onions and tomatoes.
"Halabos/Hinalabos" - mostly for shellfish. Steamed in their own juices and sometimes carbonated soda.
"Hilaw/Sariwa" - unripe (for fruits and vegetables), raw (for meats). Also used for uncooked food in general (as in lumpiang sariwa).
"Hinurno" - baked in an oven or roasted.
"Ihaw/Inihaw" − grilled over coals.
"Kinilaw" or "Kilawin" − marinated in vinegar or calamansi juice along with garlic, onions, ginger, tomato, peppers.
"Laga/Nilaga/Palaga" − boiled, sometimes with onions and black peppercorns.
"Nilasing" − cooked with an alcoholic beverage.
"Lechon/Nilechon" − roasted over a spit.
"Lumpia" - wrapped with an edible wrapper.
"Minatamis" − cooked with sugar, or with other sweeteners such as panucha (panela).
"Pinakbet" − to cook with vegetables usually with sitaw (yardlong beans), calabaza, talong (eggplant), and ampalaya (bitter melon) among others and bagoong.
"Paksiw/Pinaksiw" − cooked in vinegar.
"Pangat/Pinangat" − boiled in salted water with tomatoes.
"Palaman/Pinalaman" − "filled" as in siopao, though "palaman" also refers to the filling in a sandwich.
"Pinakuluan" - boiled.
"Piniato" - peanut brittle.
"Prito/Pinirito" − fried or deep fried. From the Spanish frito.
"Pasingaw" - steamed, usually with a banana leaf.
"Relleno/Relyeno" - stuffed.
"Tapa/Tinapa" - dried and smoked. Tapa refers to meat treated in this manner, mostly marinated and then dried and fried afterwards. Tinapa meanwhile is almost exclusively associated with smoked fish.
"Sarza/Sarciado" - cooked with a thick sauce.
"Sinangag" - fried rice.
"Sigang/Sinigang" − boiled, usually with a tamarind base. Variant bases are: guava, raw mangoes, calamansi also known as calamondin, and almost any other sour fruit abundant in the locality.
"Tosta/Tinosta/Tostado" - toasted, as in polvoron or Mamon Tostado.
"Torta/Tinorta/Patorta" - to cook with eggs in the manner of an omelette.
"Totso/Totcho" - cooked with fermented black beans. The name of both a cooking method and dish.

Lumpia-

Now for the Ingredients:

•1 pound ground beef
•3/4 cup shredded carrots
•1/2 cup chopped onions
•1 teaspoon or 2 cloves minced garlic
•3/4 teaspoon pepper
•2 teaspoons season salt
•1 package of 50 Lumpia Wrappers or 2 packages of 25 individually separated Lumpia Wrappers
•1-1 1/2 cup(s) vegetable or olive oil
•Small bowl of water
First, you'll want to brown your ground beef with your chopped onions, shredded carrots, garlic, pepper, and season salt, over medium high heat in a skillet or frying pan. (I recommend using a frying pan that is at-least 1 1/2" to 2" deep. I use the same pan to fry the lumpia in once it is rolled and finished.) When the meat is nice and brown drain the excess grease and set aside.

Now, here comes the fun part. Separate the Lumpia wrappers. In all my years of making Lumpia I have not found any easy way to separate this darn things but I will tell you how I do it; maybe you can come up with an easy way. The wrappers need to be defrosted if they are frozen. You'll also want to have a plate to set them on as well as a damp kitchen towel to cover them, we don't want our wrappers to dry out! Open the package and take out the stack of Lumpia wrappers, start at the edges and gently start peeling the edges upward, continue around and round until you eventually get to the center and loosen the individual sheet off of the stack. Now, place the loose sheet on your plate under the damp towel or cloth. And basically repeat until the stack or package is done. Sounds easy right? It's not! It will take you a few times of separating before you get the hang of it, probably midway between the stack.

We are now ready to assemble our Lumpia Rolls.

•Take 1 of the Lumpia wrappers and spoon 1-2 tablespoons of your ground beef mixture into a line near the edge on the Lumpia wrapper.
•Fold Lumpia wrapper over the line of meat you just spooned.
•Now, you will begin to roll the meat into a tube. Stop rolling when you are to the middle of the wrapper.
•Fold the right and left sides of the lumpia wrapper to the center
•Continue to roll to the end of the wrapper
•Dip your fingers in the small bowl of water and lightly moisten the exposed edge of the lumpia wrapper
•Fold wrapper edge onto itself pressing it down gently. So it seems to glue itself down.
•Place to the side for now and repeat, repeat, repeat! Until there isn't anymore wrappers or meat left.
All that's left to do now is heat your oil in your frying pan on medium high heat. You only need about 1/2" of oil across the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot place about 4-5 Lumpia across the pan and lightly brown each side of the lumpia. About 3-5 minutes each side. It will also vary with your stove. So if it seems like they are burning quickly turn your burner down. They should be a nice golden brown color. Now you want to let them cool and drain some of the excess grease off of them. My mother and I have always used a colander, feel free just to set them on paper towels or napkins. Repeat until you've made desired amount or they are all done. You can store extras(before they are fried in oil!) in the freezer to fry later on. That's another great benefit to this recipe, you can make 50 at a time and only fry 10 one day and saved the others for when you feel like it.

Voila! You've just made Lumpia! It's okay if they're not all perfect or the same size. Over time you will learn how to make them all uniform. Trust me it took me years to master the art of Lumpia rolling.

You can use any type of dipping sauce you prefer. My choice is pain old ketchup. I know some people who like to use the store bought sweet and sour sauce and duck sauce. Some people like them plain. They are great either way. But I strongly recommend trying them with ketchup. They're a perfect pair!

Once you master this base recipe you can always make your own variations to it and make it you own. You could add your favorite vegetables like shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, sliced celery, ect. You can even change the type of ground meat; my mother sometimes used ground beef and pork together. You could probably also use ground turkey. Whatever your preference, whatever your favorites are the possiblities of different combinations are endless with this base idea.

I love this recipe because of its versatility and its appeal. This is a great appetizer for all occasions like office/work parties, weddings, funerals, holidays, and birthdays. Your family, friends and guest will not be let down. You will see with your own eyes that it is the first appetizer to dissappear. The recipe makes approximately 50 Lumpias (provided you didn't rip and tear any wrappers) so just double, triple, or quadruple the recipe when making it for parties. Think 2-3 Lumpia per person.

I hope you try this and love it!

Halo Halo
Ingredients
cups Ice shavings
tbsps Sweet Azuki beans
tbsps Macapuno (coconut sport)
tbsps Diced Preserved jackfruit
tbsps Preserved sugar palm
tbsps Diced Mango
tbsps Diced Kiwi
tbsps Diced Strawberry
tbsps Whipping cream

Preparation
Fill four glasses with the ice shavings, then lay the ingredients on top, adding 3 tbsps of whipping cream over each serving.
Servings: 4

A little info. on the Lumpia recipe. My brother in law is Filipino. I buy the wrappers that have the individual papers between them so I don't have to work so hard at tearing them apart Smile

I also have a recipe that is slightly different. We use ground pork, chicken or beef also.

They are yummy.

I make up a bunch and you can put them in bags and freeze them. Pop some out and fry them up when you want some!
bjeb318
Field Researcher
Field Researcher

Back to top Go down