South Korea Military Families Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traveling with Pets

Go down

Traveling with Pets Empty Traveling with Pets

Post  bjeb318 Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 am

Tips, Facts, and Scam Information-- For You and Your Pet (from USDA)

To find your closest USDA office for international health certificate endorsements:

The APHIS Vet Health Certificate (Form 7001) for International Pet Transport

If you're moving internationally, you're most likely going to need a Vet Health Certificate, also known as the USDA APHIS Form 7001. We get asked about this form often and it is actually our most-searched item once people arrive on our website.

The 7001, as we call it, is something that you will not be able download from our site or anywhere else. It is a carbon-copy form that only USDA-accredited veterinarians can obtain, from their state's USDA Veterinary Services office. The state Veterinary Services offices oversee all of the export documents for pets departing from the US, and ensure that the veterinarians issuing the documents, including the 7001, are accredited and filling out accurate information.

Here are the steps for obtaining and getting endorsed the Form 7001 health certificate:

1. Find a USDA-Accredited veterinarian in your area. The USDA Veterinary Services offices do not see pets to issue health certificates -- they only look at the paperwork after it has been completed. So you'll need to ask your local vet if they are accredited.

2. Make sure your vet has the 7001 forms on hand prior to your appointment to get the health certificate. If they don't, they will need to order one from their state's veterinary service office, which are listed by state here. Please keep in mind that these offices will not generally send 7001 forms to pet owners, only USDA-accredited veterinarians, so you will need to get your veterinarian to call to request the form.

3. Go to your vet to get the health certificate issued. This must be done within a certain time frame of your travel date -- check the pet import requirements for the country you are going to, as well as the requirements the airline you are flying on, to determine when you will need to get the health certificate issued.

4. Check your (vet's) work! We cannot stress this enough. As part of our service, we review all of our customer's paperwork carefully before it is sent to the USDA for endorsement. If you are arranging your pet move on your own, you will need to double (and triple!) check your veterinarian's work. If you don't, the USDA will return the documents to you unendorsed. You don't want this to happen because then your Fido can't depart on time! Make sure all dates are written correctly, microchip numbers match up to microchip paperwork, your pet's age on the 7001 matches what's on his vaccination records ( you wouldn't believe how often this is incorrect!), etc. If you must make a correction to the paperwork, have your vet draw a single line through the error and initial somewhere next to the correction. When in doubt, or if your health certificate starts to resemble a 7 year old's doodles, start over with a new health certificate!

5. Take by hand or send in your paperwork to the USDA. Depending on where your state veterinary service office is, you can either go into the office in person to obtain the endorsement or you can send it in via FedEx. If you are going to take your documents in, you will want to call about a week in advance to make sure they will allow you to come in and to make an appointment. If you are sending your paperwork in, you will need to include some sort of payment information. The USDA does not take checks. You might consider writing a coversheet with your contact information instructing them to call for a credit card number. Also, keep in mind that if you do not include a return envelope, the USDA will send it back via US Postal Service. If you need your paperwork returned sooner (which most people do), include a pre-addressed FedEx overnight envelope with your paperwork. The USDA typically will stamp documents on the same day or the following day after they receive them.

your pet has to be registed with the neo warden once you come over here.. the neo warden (one e-5 or higher in every company is assigned as a warden) is the guy who registers family members and pets for the neo program (emergency assistance for evacuations).. make sure your pet is registed with them so in a disasterous event, your pets will be evacuated along with you.. (see neo program thread)..

sorry a bit off the subject.. but related..

Posted by; Kimberly Dowling on December 3, 2009 at 4:15pm

I flew here with 2 cats. I used Delta airlines, they were the only airline I could fine to answer any questions about the weight and approved carriers. Since both cats were fixed and of course both cats I was able to let them fly in the same kennel. Make sure they know you are traveling with pets. Call ahead to the airline and check that there is available room in the cargo for your pets. Most airlines only allow so many pets on the plane. If you are flying in winter months you may also need a letter from the vet saying that your pet is healthy enough to fly if the weather is below a certain temp. keep all documents needed out with you in your carry on bag so you can get to them easy. I keep the food and water away from my cats at night. Please make sure your pet has food and water (most important water) in the Kennel before letting them take them for boarding they will not give them food and water during the flight. They are in the cargo area.

Posted by: Samantha Kimble
airline pet Travels and shipping details

Pet carry-on, travel, and shipping information for the listed airlines. Click on the airline name on the site to be taken to the detailed airline-specific pet information page.

I flew here with my two Dogs in November 2009. They flew as checked baggage (in cargo area). We went to our regular vet withing 10 days of our flight to get a health certificate.

We flew United and they were pretty helpful with getting everything arranged for the dogs. And the flight went smoothly for us and the dogs. The 10 day health certificate was ONLY for the Flight. Not to get into Korea.

To get into Korea with your pet you only need proof of your pets Rabies vaccination. The vaccination must be given more than 30 days before arrival in country but less than 1 year old.

Kennel requirements may vary by airline, but most generaly are as follows:

The Animal must have ample room to move around in the kennel. They must be able to stand, sit, and turn around in the kennel.

You may NOT use Wire crates for Air travel. Most Airlines recomend the Plastic carriers.

For international flights there must be ventilation on 4 sides of the carrier (the door counts as 1 side)

The dogs must have a food bowl and a water bowl. There also must be a serving of food attached to the outside of the kennel as the dogs will be fed 1 per 24 hours of travel.

There also must be a copy of the health certificate and rabies vaccinations attached to the kennel.

There also must be "Live Animal" stickers on at least 3 sides of the kennel for international travel. Some kennels are sold with these stickers, but generaly the airline will put them on for you at the airport when you check in for your flight.

Most airlines recomend you be at the airport at least 1 hour earlier than normally recomended for checking in to your flight with a pet.

Again, for getting into Korea all you need is the valid Rabies certificate. and for most Airlines is a 10 day health certificate issued by any vet, and a rabies certificate.
Field Researcher
Field Researcher

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-02-28

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum